Mac OS X MacPorts Fink: Packages for Mac OS X are maintained by third parties. Diffuse can be installed using the following commands: MacPorts: port install diffuse Fink: fink install diffuse. OS X and Visual Diffs. Posted on 29 April 2008 by Demian Turner. What are people using as a visual diff tool on OS X? Since my move to the Mac just over 1 year ago this is the one tool I have been unable to replace. NEW: Image Diffing in Tower!
Paid, but it has the best looking UI of any diff tool I've seen for Mac. Kaleidoscope also does a very nice job of breaking down which words differ inside lines and nicely wrap long file formats like html so the atomic changes are more graphically evident. Compared to line based diff tools, this is a nice step up. From the app's splash screen 'SourceGear DiffMerge is an award-winning file diff and merge tool that has been helping professional developers and hobbyists since 2007. SourceGear DiffMerge is licensed for use free of charge. However, by registering DiffMerge you will help fund new product development, maintenance, and support. SnailSVN is a TortoiseSVN-like Apache Subversion (SVN) client for Mac OS X, implemented as a Finder extension. SnailSVN allows you to access the most frequently used SVN.
Meld for OSX
This is a fork of Meld packaged and bundled for OSX. The original website for Meld is here http://meldmerge.org. Minor work has been done to also integrate OSX menu and shortcuts, but the app is truly the original, excellent Meld.
Download OSX dmg file
You may download any of the following versions. The 3.21.0 (r2) is the latest and the recommended version at this point.
- Version 3.21.0 (r2) Latest (Catalina & Mojave)
- Version 3.19.2 (r5) (Mojave & High Sierra)
- Version 3.19.2 (r3) (Mojave & High Sierra)
- Version 3.19.0 (r1) (Previous stable version - High Sierra)
- Version 3.16.0 (r1) (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 3.15.4 (r2) (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 3.15.2 (r2) (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 3.13.4 (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 1.8 (Not for High Sierra)
Tip: A lot of people are asking how to use this package as a git difftool/mergetool.Once installed, edit your
~/.gitconfig and add the following lines
Tip:Meld OSX also understands/checks for the following environment variables.
The theme change can be done by changing the variable in the wrapper script
find the part that says
and change it to
and you'll have a fully dark meld..
Why Meld for Mac/OSX and not Macports/Homebrew
Top reasons behind using this fork over Macports or
- Retina support (check the screenshot!)
- Latest 3.x series
- No hassle install (drag/drop like any other app)
- Integrates with OSX menu
Supports standard OSX shortcuts (cmd-c/cmd-v instead of ctrl)(Merged to upstream)
- Note: Homebrew now installs Meld for OSX
- To Kai Willadsen http://meldmerge.org/ for creating Meld.
- To the Gnome project https://www.gnome.org/
- To Alex Kras whose web page (How To Run Meld on Mac OS X Yosemite Without Homebrew, MacPorts, or Think) served as my reference for tracking Meld for OSX usage and issues when I had absolutely no time to maintain this.
- Get rid of the Meld wrapper shell script (this should get rid of all the wrappers needed to run Meld from the terminal)
- Support Meld localizations (currently only English works)
Suggestions / Issues
If you have a suggestion or you are facing an issue running this Meld fork, please open an issue here https://github.com/yousseb/meld/issues. Please note that your issue has to be specific to the OSX fork and not to Meld itself. I have no plans/time to work on Meld itself.
Contribute to Meld for OSX
- Head to https://github.com/yousseb/meld
- Fork the repository and clone your fork locally.
- Follow the build instructions in https://github.com/yousseb/meld/blob/master/osx/README.md to generate your own dmg.
- Do your magic, commit and push to your fork.
- Create a pull request.
Mac File Diff Tool
Not Accepting Donations
I'm not currently accepting donations for the development of this fork. I just missed a proper implementation of Meld on Mac so I thought of creating this fork. If you want to donate, please donate to the original Meld project.
The following is copied from the original Meld page http://meldmerge.org/. Please visit the original project website for more info. For the full help manual, please visit http://meldmerge.org/help/.
What is Meld?
Meld is a visual diff and merge tool targeted at developers. Meld helps you compare files, directories, and version controlled projects. It provides two- and three-way comparison of both files and directories, and has support for many popular version control systems.
Meld helps you review code changes and understand patches. It might even help you to figure out what is going on in that merge you keep avoiding.
- Two- and three-way comparison of files and directories
- File comparisons update as you type
- Auto-merge mode and actions on change blocks help make merges easier
- Visualisations make it easier to compare your files
- Supports Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, Subversion, etc.
- …and more
Mac Git Diff Tool
Meld is licensed under the GPL v2, except as noted
In depth features
- Edit files in-place, and your comparison updates on-the-fly
- Perform two- and three-way diffs and merges
- Easily navigate between differences and conflicts
- Visualise global and local differences with insertions, changes and conflicts marked
- Use the built-in regex text filtering to ignore uninteresting differences
- Syntax highlighting
- Compare two or three directories file-by-file, showing new, missing, and altered files
- Directly open file comparisons of any conflicting or differing files
- Filter out files or directories to avoid seeing spurious differences
- Simple file management is also available
- Meld supports many version control systems, including Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and SVN
- Launch file comparisons to check what changes were made, before you commit
- View file versioning statuses
- Simple version control actions are also available (i.e., commit/update/add/remove/delete files)
Best Diff Tool For Mac
Merge mode (in development)
Diff Tool For Mac Os 10.13
- Automatically merge two files using a common ancestor
- Mark and display the base version of all conflicting changes in the middle pane
- Visualise and merge independent modifications of the same file
- Lock down read-only merge bases to avoid mistakes
- Command line interface for easy integration with existing tools, including git mergetool